Great point and shoot camera
The Lumix FZ200 is the best multipurpose point and shoot camera (for photos and video) I have tested in this class and price range for marketers wanting to get into YouTube.
For online marketing video use it’s a step above any entry level dSLR camera for many reasons, namely the auto focus video, external audio jack and flip around screen. And because of the 24x Super Zoom it’s also a great holiday camera too.
Keep in mind this IS a point and shoot camera. You cannot change lenses, but with this lens you won’t need to.
10 Reasons marketers should buy this camera
- Price – $399 street price – but you can get it for under $400 on amazon.com
- External audio jack
- Flip around LCD screen
- Super Zoom 24x lens – it goes wide angle to telephoto which makes this also a great holiday camera
- Auto focus that follows you if you move – face detection
- Panasonic artistic filters – my favourite thing about Panasonic cameras!
- Intelligent Auto (IA) mode actually IS intelligent so you don’t have to know a lot about photography or video to get started
- Great auto white balance capabilities (and I’m usually not a fan of AUTO anything!)
- Fits nicely in your hands because of the hand grip – even for men. Big enough to hold steady but small enough to stick in your purse or small bag.
- Shoots 1080p and 720p video that you can edit using iMovie, Adobe Premiere Elements, Screenflow or Camtasia
What’s not so great about this camera?
- Poorly placed memory card slot, which is a pain to access when using the camera with a tripod
- You will need to get the sub mini adapter plug-in to use standard 3.5mm microphones – I’m not sure why Panasonic didn’t put a regular 3.5mm mini audio jack in this camera.
What if you don’t want a point and shoot?
If you don’t want a point and shoot and instead are looking for an interchangeable lens camera (MILC) that shoots HD video, then you should get the Panasonic Lumix G6, or G7, which are also very well priced and has better features compared to entry level dSLR cameras, like Canon Rebels.
What else you’ll need in your video camera kit
Round out your video camera kit with these must-have accessories to create high quality YouTube videos.
- Tripod with a video head – This is about the lightest Manfrotto video tripod you can get
- Memory card at least 32GB and high speed
- Microphone – this Audio Technica lapel mic is perfect to start with
- Sub mini adapter to go from the camera’s 2.5mm input to 3.5mm of the microphone
Of course I haven’t even opened up the topic of lighting or editing.
Stay tuned for that.
If you have any questions about getting into YouTube video, please leave me a comment.
UPDATE 2015: Panasonic has just come out with the Lumix FZ1000. This new bridge camera also shoots 4K video.