Paradigm shifts in PhotographyThere are paradigm shifts happening right now in photography. You’ve probably already started to notice them.
Photography is going from:
- being print based to screen based – customers want the shareable version of your files
- dSLR to mirrorless – hybrid cameras
- studio flash to studio LED lighting
- using low iso to high iso – mirrorless cameras are better at that high ISO stuff
- heavily edited (fusion) video to auto edited video using templates so you don’t need to be a video editor to produce great results.
- raw post processing to in-camera pre-processing – spend less time computing and more time shooting
- tethered shooting becomes transferring via Wi-Fi to show clients your pre-processed images on your mobile device
- desktop to cloud-based software
- selling products to selling services
And in the case of many people, going from using a camera, to using their smart phones for photographing everyday things.
How are these paradigm shifts in photography affecting how you create images? How are they affecting your clients, and your print sales?
You can deal with this change in a few ways:
- You can pretend it’s not happening, and bury your head in the sand, and hope that it’s really not happening
- You can jump in and learn about this first — before the masses — and get a head start on your competition
- You can quit photography. This is what happened with the switch from film to digital, many shooters simply retired.
- You can learn how to use your camera better than you use Photoshop!
You will notice this first in family, wedding, event and travel photography, but chances are it will permeate through all segments of photography. And it’s going to happen soon!